Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary
On the current place where nowadays the Parish Church of Blessed Virgin Mary is situated, before the arrival of the Turks, was also a church. In this respect it has been preserved with great care the painting of the Virgin Mary "Nadia Szűz Mária". Later, during the Turkish occupation, both the painting and the church were destroyed and burned down.
Also known as the Roman Catholic Church, in its current form, it began to be built in 1775 at the initiative of Harruckern Ferenc in the square in the towns’ center. The Parish Church was built in a baroque and rococo style based on the project of architect János Károly. It was consecrated in 1777, when the building was blessed in honor of the Immaculate Virgin.
The precious paintings of the church altar are representing the Immaculate Virgin Mary, Saint Anne and Saint Joseph. On the ceiling you can see a large painting of 470 square meters, which was painted 1986-1987 by Mihály Patay. Besides its religious and historical importance, these imposing paintings are also depicting important events in history of our town.
Blessed Virgin Mary parish has been renovated several times in the eighteenth century, during which was enriched with classical elements, both indoors and outdoors. To the right of sanctuary is Harruckern architect Ferenc tombstone, which was performed by Viennese sculptor Martin Schmidt.
The altar was carved in walnut, the work of Tibor Lakatos and is adorned with paintings depicting Bishop Apor Veronika M. Simon, which was carried out in the late 1990s.
Blessed Virgin Mary Parish Church is currently a well-known place of pilgrimage.
The most important data of pilgrimage:
- The first Sunday of October, the feast of the consecration of the altar, the so-called pilgrimage of flowers
- St. Joseph's Day (19th of March)
- Blessed Virgin Mary (15th August) celebration of local interest