German national collection
Turkish-Hungarian battles and wars have ravaged many times these lands; Gyula remained the last bastion being for over a hundred years under Turkish occupation. In 1720, almost a fifth part of the county lands were returned to the nobles. An ex arms supplier named Janos György Harruckern received land in this part of the country, as gratitude for his services from the German landlord that he served. In 1723 he began the colonization of these lands with Germans.
First Germans families who came to these lands were originating from Germany and belonged to the parish of Wurzburg and Bamberg. The location of these colonies was designated the island located between the two branches of the rivers White Cris and Black Cris.
In 1734 the Germans elected themselves their own judge - thus breaking up with the administrative community of Gyula - and as a consequence the Németgyula (Germanic Gyula) have been formed as an administratively independent town.
After the plague of 1738 the noble Ferenc Harruckern colonized the Bavarian and Austrian groups in the territory. Among those also many artisans were colonized, who practiced besides agriculture also the cultivation of grapes and implicitly winery. Later these small entrepreneurs have sought work in neighboring lands, masons and carpenters especially.
German colony gave our country the Hungarian National Anthem composer named Erkel (n. Erkl) Ferenc. His parental house near St. Joseph Church is today a museum. During the Second World War, the Germans of town Gyula remained and only a few joined the People's Union (n. Volksbund) or the German army.
On whichever pretext, on Christmas Eve of 1944 about 550 people of German nationality were deported to the Soviet Union, upon charges of common guilt and sentenced to 1-5 years each of hard labor so-called "málenkij robotra".
63 of them have never returned to Hungary and found their eternal rest in foreign soil. Their memory is kept alive by the German community until today.
In 1980 it began collecting and preserving objects and materials that evoke the spirit and tradition of German colonies on these lands. Permanent exhibition opened its doors in 1986, where it was installed in its final location.
Sunday: 9.00 - 12.00